(Savannah, GA, April 19, 2019) — America’s acclaimed BIG APPLE CIRCUS will play Savannah Civic Center, July 11 thru July 14, as the circus presents its first-ever tour of arenas around the United States, bringing America’s favorite circus to fans in their hometowns. World-renowned for its artistic style, BIG APPLE CIRCUS revitalizes the circus for modern-day audiences with unique and astounding human feats.
In the 41st season show, real-life wonder women take the reins, led by new Ringmaster Stephanie Monseu. This year’s show is filled with a roster of superhero talents ready to incite jaw-dropping awe and inspire sheer joy in audiences of all ages. Ringmaster Monseu will be joined in the ring by a multitude of fierce, female-led acts and more, including:
- The “strongest mom in the world” Virginia Tuells & her husband Ihosvanys Perez in DUO FUSION, a breathtaking acrobatic act that combines dance, strength, flexibility and passion, in which Virginia handles a majority of the lifts
- The wildly fun SPICY CIRCUS, created by Andréanne Quintal, whose team of performers will (literally) bounce off the walls in her feisty trampoline act
- THE FLYING TUNIZIANIS, a double-wide trapeze act showcasing seven fliers & two catchers in addition to the quadruple somersault by Ammed Tuniziani – a feat only successfully landed by ten people in the world – alongside his wife Estefani, brothers Gamal & Dandino and more
- DESIRE OF FLIGHT, a daring and balletic dual aerial straps act
- A free-standing ladder balancing act by Emil Faltyny
- Fan-favorite Jenny Vidbel, third-generation circus animal trainer and seven-year veteran of Big Apple Circus
- The hilarious Mark Gindick & Adam Kuchler
- Live music by Rob Slowik & Band
Named a Critic’s Pick by the New York Times, the paper hails this year’s show as “high flying, wholesome family entertainment – good-hearted and pleasure-minded – with a robustly international cast.”
As is its long-standing tradition, BIG APPLE CIRCUS will continue to honor the essential & iconic characteristics that has set it apart for the past four decades, providing multiple community outreach programs to local communities on the tour. The Big Apple Circus will continue to provide enhanced experiences for audiences who are blind, deaf or low-vision. Performances may also include ASL interpretation, live audio description, pre- & post-show touch experiences and a Braille descriptive program.
This season, BIG APPLE CIRCUS has seen great success with its brand-new food & beverage program focusing on classic circus favorites with an all-natural twist. BIG APPLE CIRCUS popcorn is now made with organic kernels, real butter, and sea salt, and our all-natural Fresh Spun Cotton Candy is made from fair trade sugar, without dyes and preservatives, and slushies are also made with all-natural juice. Only on the Arena Tour, VIP ticket buyers will be able to enter the venue thirty minutes before doors open to the public for an exclusive meet and greet with cast members of the Big Apple Circus, and will have access to a dedicated bar, special VIP pricing for food and beverage, and Instagrammable circus-inspired photo opportunities.
Highlights of this year’s season included a special guest spot on NBC’s “The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon,” which featured – in a rare television appearance – music icon Bob Dylan and Fallon enjoying a private performance of BIG APPLE CIRCUS, as well as a feisty performance on ABC’s “Live with Kelly & Ryan”. Additionally, this year’s show has been touted as one of the finest in the circus’ history; The New York Times deemed the show a “Critic’s Pick,” praising it as “high flying, wholesome family entertainment – good-hearted and pleasure-minded – with a robustly international cast.” Parade Magazine says BIG APPLE CIRCUS “keeps the audience bouncing in their seats” and is filled with “breathtaking wonder and whimsy.
The BIG APPLE CIRCUS 41st season is directed by Mark Lonergan, choreographed by Grady McLeod Bowman, with music direction by Rob Slowik.